Venesco LLC is looking for an Organic Chromatographer to serve in the Organic “Pesticide” Division within the Laboratory Sciences (LAB) Directorate, Army Public Health Center (APHC). You will be responsible for providing analytical support for a wide variety of environmental and occupational health samples, supporting military deployment efforts; industrial hygiene, water quality, and waste disposal, to help solve technical problems involving identification of the chemical composition of various solids, water, and air samples.
In this role you will perform sample preparations and/or analyses on a variety of sample matrices (drinking water, raw water, soils/sediments, air, etc.) in accordance with EPA, NIOSH, and/or OSHA analytical methodologies utilizing GC and/or GC/MS instrumentation. Perform troubleshooting and preventative maintenance on instrumentation. Evaluate sample analyses against SOPs and quality system requirements and take appropriate corrective actions as needed. Enter analysis results into the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). Perform peer reviews of analytical results for compliance with SOPs and quality system requirements. Perform method development and/or validation in accordance with SOPs and quality system requirements. Recommend and/or perform process improvements. Follow all laboratory safety policies, including use of required PPE. Follow all laboratory waste disposal requirements. Maintain a clean laboratory environment.
- Conduct complex chemical analyses of environmental and occupational health samples determining chemical composition, toxic constituents. Perform chemical analyses, resolving conflicts as needed. Evaluate and reports results (bench chemist) as required. Operate sophisticated laboratory equipment such as gas chromatography (GC) with various detectors and GC mass spectrometry (GC-MS). Checks quality control data, correcting actions as required. Identify components found, concentrations, and techniques used. Head up special studies as needed.
- Develop, plan and perform chemical analyses in accordance with plans developed. Recognize anomalies or discrepancies in data obtained, conducts additional experiments, resolving conflicts and documenting results as required. Perform the most complex chemical tasks and special studies as needed.
- Develop, adapt, modify, and implements analytical testing methods as needed. Determines approach and analytical instruments for required data. Improve laboratory processes, increasing quality, and reducing waste and costs. Determine sample storage and preservation procedures. Troubleshoot and maintain laboratory instruments, performing minor repairs as required. Recommend new analytical equipment as needed. Train on equipment operations and analyses as required.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, or other related Physical Science.
- Five (5) or more years of experience performing environmental and/or industrial hygiene chemical analysis.
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of GC and/or GC-MS based EPA (500 and 8000 series), NIOSH, and/or OSHA sample preparation and analytical procedures. Experience and knowledge of the operation, troubleshooting, and maintaining of gas chromatographs (GC) with various detectors and/or GC-mass spectrometers (GC-MS), basic computer hardware and software (including GC and/or GC-MS operating software).
- Familiar with ISO 17025 quality system requirements: data review and quality control evaluation procedures; Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS); laboratory safety and waste disposal procedures. Can recommend ways to improve processes; communicate orally and in writing.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Outlook, Excel, Word and MS Teams a plus.
- Must be able to attain and maintain a Public Trust level government clearance.
- Must follow APHC COVID-19 guidelines (wear mask over nose/mouth, social distance, etc.).
Work is sedentary in nature with long periods of standing, some stooping and carrying of lab equipment and supplies. The work is performed in an office or laboratory setting that is well lit, heated, and ventilated. There will be regular and recurring exposure to irritant chemicals. Must be basic medically screened prior to exposure. Must use protective clothing and equipment as required.
Please send resume to email@example.com
Venesco LLC, is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Venesco is committed to administering all employment and personnel actions on the basis of merit and free of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with a disability. Consistent with this commitment, we are dedicated to the employment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, persons of all ethnic backgrounds and religions according to their abilities.