Administrative and Technical Support
Venesco LLC is looking for an Ophthalmic Technician to provide administrative and technical support for the 711th Human Performance Wing (711 HPW), headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio. The 711 HPW is the first human-centric warfare wing to consolidate human performance research, education and consultation under a single organization.
Established under the Air Force Research Laboratory, the 711 HPW is comprised of the Airman Systems Directorate (RH), the United States Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine (USAFSAM) and the Human Systems Integration Directorate (HP). The Wing delivers unparalleled capability to the Air Force through a combination of world class infrastructure and expertise of its diverse workforce of military, civilian and contractor personnel encompassing 75 occupational specialties including science and engineering, occupational health and safety, medical professions, technicians, educators, and business operations and support.
In this position you will:
- Assist in patient evaluations, including ACS referrals, Flying Class I applicants, Medical Flight Screening applicants and subjects participating in branch-related studies.
- Support all aspects of clinical exams including: ophthalmic histories; measurement of visual acuity, color vision, contrast sensitivity, corneal and retinal imaging, stereopsis, visual fields, tonometry, keratometry; and fitting spectacles.
- Perform basic instrument maintenance and have a basic understanding of clinical optics.
- Administer medications to the eye, be knowledgeable of ophthalmic drugs, and apply a proper eye patch. The contractor shall practice aseptic techniques and keep offices and equipment clean and follow infection control during these and all other practices.
- Review patient medical records from previous exams and other pertinent data for provider’s reference during current exam and documents test results in outpatient electronic medical record in compliance with established protocols.
- Organize, prepare and replenish patient exam rooms between encounters and maintain ophthalmic medications in a ready state in multiple treatment areas. The contractor shall assist the Ophthalmologist or Optometrist in fitting spectacles, hard and soft contact lenses and shall be able to instruct patients on the proper insertion, removal, cleaning, as required.
- Perform all duties required for the ophthalmic medical and non- medical equipment and supplies within the section.
- Support associated Ophthalmologists and Optometrists in research protocols including: acquisition of ophthalmic and optometric measurements such as evaluation of visual performance with optical devices, contact lenses, and night vision goggles.
- Work with internal computer programs to support Aeromedical Ophthalmology/Optometry evaluations and be able to enter and extract data. The contractor shall schedule appointments with other departments and outside medical facilities.
- Receive and interpret communications, publications, and directives; administratively support Aeromedical Ophthalmology, send and receive faxes, answer the telephone, and prepare correspondence as necessary. The contractor shall be assigned additional duties to order prescription medications/contact lens solutions, conduct inventories, and dispose of such accordingly.
- Assist with screening patients at Wright Patterson Medical Center as needed by USAFSAM Ophthalmologists. This includes but is not limited to traditional screening of ophthalmology patients, topography/Pentacam, pre-op biometry with IOL Master/ LenStar, OCT retina/optic nerve, scheduling of surgical patients, and assisting in the operating room as a scrub tech as deemed appropriate by the Ophthalmologists.
Qualifications for the Ophthalmic Technician
- · One year of on the job optometry and/or ophthalmology experience.
- Basic computer skills and be able to work with internal computer programs.
- Experience working with the surgical scheduling program, S3.
- Working knowledge of a range of ophthalmic equipment including: Optec 2300, Cone Contrast Test, Orbscan, Pentacam, OCT, automated and Goldmann perimeters, slit lamp, American Optical Vectograph, and Howard Dolman.
Venesco LLC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Venesco is committed to administering all employment and personnel actions on the basis of merit and free of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with a disability. Consistent with this commitment, we are dedicated to the employment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, persons of all ethnic backgrounds and religions according to their abilities.